Monday, March 15, 2010

Big Update in Short Detail (Chauncey)

Friends and Family,

I know it has been some time since I last blogged, however I hope that you will find this one well worth the wait.

Life has had ups and downs, thankfully the ups take me much higher to where the downs don't have that much effect. There is so much on my mind to say and it is hard to know where to start. The last time that I posted was on my birthday nearly 2 months ago. I will try to cover the high points since then and also cover current events in my life.

Well, nothing is really coming to mind when I try to think of high points over the past few months, I know that they are there and I could tell you about them, but as far as typing it out... not a chance.

Therefore leaving the elementary tellings of previous high points, let us press on to more current events.
I just took a trip. This past week was spring break for many college students and I was invited to attend a trip to south Texas. Edinburg to be specific. This was a misson trip, but unlike any other that I have ever been on.

    I will start by saying this, that I have seen the Lord do some wild things, I have experienced divine appointment, Gods provision, His grace, and oddly coincidental happenings. But, God is still greater than what He has revealed Himself to be. I learned that this week. God is not and cannot be limited to my personal understanding of how He works. I also think that this is one of those things that you hear all of the time that "God is big" and yes we agree but it never really takes root until you experience His "biggness". I have heard it described as this, "Head knowledge is like a massive object hanging from a rope in our minds, and we recognize it to be good and we believe, but only when God cuts that rope and allows the weight of it all to land on our hearts is when it will change our lives." I have seen so many people who have the head knowledge and have heard the Gospel but because God has not powerfully moved in their experiences it has no effect on their lives. And all of this is based on God alone. It is not something that can be achieved or attained, it is only God who is able to reveal Himself in power.

    The Gospel is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes.
Before I went on this trip I had been thinking "you know, it really has been a long time since I had seen anyone give their life to the Lord." And really it had been, I know that personally in my community and interactions with people it really isn't common for a person to decide to follow Christ. Yes, we do have good conversation, I try my best to point them to the Lord and ask them deep questions and probe and poke holes. But I don't know that I have ever led anyone to Christ by poking holes in their boat, there may have been seeds planted and God can totally use that and grow that. It seems to me that, yes, I do enjoy planting seeds and that we should be planting, but, I want to reap the harvest so much more. I want to see people saved. I want to see the kingdom of God expand and grow to take over families, communities, cities, people groups and nations for His names sake.

   All of that to say, God moved in power while we were in Edinburg. And the numbers don't really matter, I understand that it is all worth it to even see one to come to know Him, however, I do think that numbers testify to His power, His heart for His people and His promises. The Lord revealed Himself daily to many who have never experienced Him, revealing His love and power for salvation. Adding to our number daily, the Lord revealed His faithfulness.

   To sum it up plainly, our message and our preaching is not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that our faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. I experienced the truth of this, that the Gospel is the power of God for salvation. It was sent to mankind, from a loving creator who longs for communion with His children, to save men, therefore it would only make sense that men would understand it unto salvation for His glory. Christ is the power and wisdom of God. It is amazing to see that when we are obedient in preaching Christ and His salvation for His people that God does save.
    I realized that often times I would rather circle the Gospel as I speak to people, trying to persuade with cleverness of speech rather than leading them straight to the cross where God saves us.
Salvation is the greatest demonstration of Gods love for mankind. There are other miracles and demonstrations of power that God likes to do, which are great, but salvation is the only one mentioned that excites all of heaven.

   Needless to say, it was a great trip. The Lord also moved in other ways which I would love to share but for now won't go into detail, it can be summed up in these words, "God is big". Ask me about it.

  Now on to a more sobering topic.
Today I went in to work after a nice break and ready to get back with my kids at the Boys and Girls Club. After I greeted my site director I was given some very sad news. She mentioned that we had lost a member, which happens, sometimes parents take their kids out or stop working and are able to be at home with thier kids after school. But upon further investigation it was much more serious.

    We had a member who had been stuggling with cancer who, last Tuesday, went on to be with our heavenly Father. He was 10 years old. All of us learned something from him. His unwillingness to quit and desire to excel was very evident. Knowing his condition, his teachers never gave him work, despite this, with a hunger to learn, everyday he was doing school work. He had a grasp on the things that were important. He would walk away from unfruitful converstaions. He didn't put himself around trouble makers. He was marked with peace everywhere he went. There seemed to be a calm over the room while he was with us. He was loved and will be missed.

I leave you with this, God is big and moves in power, He has given us a great salvation to be shared with all. Life is fragile, don't miss the opportunities you have. Not only for lifes sake, but to be a positive influence on those around you, and greatest of all for the Gospel.

 Grace and Peace be yours in abundance

No comments: